Sunday, March 15, 2015

I KNOW IN WHOM I HAVE TRUSTED

From: Joseph Weiss <joseph.weiss@myldsmail.net>
Date: March 15, 2015 at 6:34:11 PM MDT
To: Cyndy Weiss <cyndyweiss@gmail.com>

Dear President and Sister Back,

It was an interesting week. Forty at sacrament meeting on Sunday. I
was a little bit shocked. That's less than when I started my mission.

The Spanish Ward had 9 baptisms last year but I've never seen it
looking so flat. It wasn't real growth and "those who felt to sing the
song of redeeming love cannot feel so now". I don't think they were
enlisted in the rescue or given responsibilities.

The infrastructure of the ward is broken. Right now I wouldn't say they
are ready to support major growth. With the Bishop moving at the
end of the month the Ward is in a sort of limbo land.

We have talked about asking each
member of the ward council to visit one less active member each week
to try our best to mobilize the Ward council to save their ward.

There is not enough DOING but as always where things aren't happening there
is A LOT of talking. Revelation comes on the move and in this ward we
sit a wonder and talk about when the lightning bolt is going to strike
and wonder why nothing is changing yet.

Today I read 2 Nephi 4. Nephi is acknowledging how weak he is but that
he "know(s) in whom (he has) trusted". He speaks with such boldness
and certainty. I thought to myself, "Surely this is not the same Nephi
that said I will go and do." This is a different Nephi. This Nephi
says "I went and I did and I won't stop doing." The certainty that I
hear in his voice is something that I am beginning to feel in some
small part.

Just like Nephi, I, in the beginning was a good boy. I was
obedient and diligent. But now almost 22 months later I am a man
because I KNOW IN WHOM I HAVE TRUSTED.

Yesterday we went to the rescue of a less active member,
Roberto, who came back to church my last week
in the spanish ward the first time I was here. I asked him some bold
questions, "When was the last time you used your priesthood to bless
your wife or children?" It had been over 2 years! "Will you give your
wife and children blessings?" He told us he had forgotten. "Can we
come back another time and help you?" He told us of an acquaintance
that was dying from cancer. "Can we go with you and give this man a
blessing when we come next Saturday?”

I am so weak. I can't do anything unless it's shown to me.
I depend on others to do everything for me. But thank God
that they have done it. They have taught and
mentored me so I can help others.

There is no joy so unexplainable
than to be guided by our Father to the rescue of one of his children.
I wish everyone could feel the joy of being God's hands. It's a power
so incomprehensible that it cannot be explained. Only through the
power of the Holy Ghost can we feel what it is like to live Eternal
Life. As we give all we posses to our Savior Jesus Christ, we begin to
live Eternal Life NOW.

"Oh wretched man that I am... but I know in whom I have trusted."

Love, Elder Weiss

No comments:

Post a Comment