Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Leaders are Givers

From: Joseph Weiss <joseph.weiss@myldsmail.net>
Date: December 7, 2014 at 7:56:48 PM MST

This week was long and fast at the same time. So transfers are in one
week and living with the AP's and with a few games of 21 questions I'm
pretty sure I'm going to the best ward in the mission. It was Elder
Urbina's favorite area and they have the meanest ward mission leader
name Brother Baker. He's a legend in our mission. On Saturday Elder
Urbina went on a trade off with Elder Edmondson, my “son" here in
Mortdale. It was pretty special to have my “son" serve with my “father".
Brother Baker drove all the way up from Canberra to have lunch with
them and I got to see him at the chapel as we were going to our ward
christmas party.

We just started developing some relationships with members and BANG!!
We are both getting taken out!. Oh well, the other three companionships
will recieve the blessings of our area book. Another guy I taught in
Bathurst got baptized. Colin in Dubbo that Elder Janes and I baptized
is now 1st Counselor in the Dubbo Branch!! And he's on track to get
endowed in FEB!! I hope President lets me go to the temple that day!

Elder Urbina taught me something when we were together. He got it from
this talk about giving. He says that leaders are givers. That if a
person is unselfish that people automatically identify him as a leader
because they trust that he won't stab them in the back. So on Tuesday
I went on a trade-off with Elder Salter who is Elder Edmonson's
companion. They have a rubbish old flat and there were lots of dishes
in the sink. More in the sink than in the cupboards.

After lunch I started cleaning up the dishes and then kept going to the counters and
the oven. Then we left. Later that night we were supposed to go GQing
but the rain went insane and with a dirty flat in the back of my mind,
after dinner we continued cleaning. We organized and rearranged and
made the flat a beautiful place. We mopped the floors put things and
away and made it a house of order... at least the kitchen and living
room.

It was a night and day difference. The flat went from being the
legendary dirty flat to something quite nice. What I've learned on my
mission is that "if you don't do it, nobody will." At the end of the
night as we reviewed the trade-off Elder Salter said "You're a legend!
Your not even gonna live here and you took the time to do all this
cleaning!"

I reckon that's how the Savior feels. I can't really explain it but I
know that's how I should be more often if I want to be more happy...
which I do!

Don't expect me to be the same when I come home. I'm not the same
person that you remember. I hope you'll see me and you'll know that
the atonement is real.

Love yous heaps!

Elder Weiss

No comments:

Post a Comment